Corned Beef with Cabbage and Irish Soda Bread. Dishes synonymous in the U.S. with St. Patrick's Day, these recipes make for easy, rustic entertaining any day of the year.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage, recipe from BHG.com
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10-12 hours on low, or 5 -6 hours on high
1 ¾ pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
½ head cabbage, cut into 3 wedges
4 medium carrots, peeled, and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, quartered
2 medium yellow potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
½ cup water
1. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut brisket to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle spices from packet evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers. Place cabbage, carrots, onion, and potatoes in the slow cooker. Pour water over vegetables. Top with brisket.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-6 hours. Transfer meat to a cutting board. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve vegetables with a slotted spoon.
Makes 6 servings.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
5 cups sifted all-purpose unbleached flour
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ pound butter
2 ½ cups mixed light and dark raisins, soaked in water for 15 to 20 minutes and drained
3 tablespoons caraway seeds
2 ½ cups buttermilk
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Generously butter 2 (9 x 5-inch) bread pans.
3. Stir together the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
4. Cut in the butter and mix very thoroughly with your hands until it gets grainy.
5. Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
6. Add the buttermilk and egg to the flour mixture. Stir until well moistened.
7. Shape dough into 2 loaves and place in the pans.
8. Bake for 1 hour. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Cool in the pans for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 2 loaves.